We’re looking for a project manager, a civil engineer, a historian, a conservationist, a sports scientist, and a media coordinator.
All roles can be found on our jobs-board and you can access all 6 roles at the following link: https://swansea.targetconnect.net/leap/employers.html?employer=451851&service=Swansea+Employability+Academy
Here is the information from Ffynone House School:-
Ffynone House School is a Charitable Trust that provides independent secondary education in the heart of Swansea. We have a fascinating history and an exciting future ahead of us, and we are looking for six enthusiastic students to work with us on a two-week placement.
The project team will engage with our students to:
- create a design for our front garden
- create a design for the school yard
- capture and celebrate Ffynone‘s rich history
We are looking for innovative ideas to maximise the bio-diversity and use of our front garden. We want to create a learning environment linked to our curriculum that is in keeping with our location in one of Swansea’s principal conservation areas. Ideally, this will be an attractive and relaxing space for our students and staff.
There are two aspects to the project in the yard. Ultimately, we want to maximise the space available for multi-sport and recreational use. The team will research products and grant funding that is currently available to produce a design with costed proposals.
We also need to understand the physical limitations of the space imposed by the local gradients, retaining walls and foundations.
Ffynone House School was founded on the site of St Winefride’s Convent. The site was hit during the Swansea blitz during world war two and retains several features of the old convent. We want to uncover more of our history, and to exhibit any documentation and photographic evidence of our heritage.
The team may comprise:
- Project Manager (School of Management). To direct the team and submit a final report covering the three objectives.
- Garden designer (Bio-Scientist). To design the front garden and yard surrounds, with suggested planting and costs.
- Sports area designer (Sports scientist). To create a design for the yard that incorporates a wide variety of sporting and recreational activities
- Engineer (Civil Engineer). To research any practical constraints in the areas, and to advise and support other team members in their tasks. (e.g. design drawings)
- Historian (History). To research and collate the history of Ffynone House School
- Graphic Designer/PR (Media). To liaise with all team members to illustrate the project outcomes. These may include written reports, web pages and multi-media presentations
This is an invaluable opportunity to work with a small business to solve practical problems and create real solutions. You will work in a team to deliver the overall outcomes, yet have the independence to develop your own skills and ideas. You will liaise with pupils and staff to understand their needs. You will undertake research, explore solutions and present your findings.
Planned timeline: to work for two weeks 25 June – 6 July 2018