The Daiwa Scholarship is a unique 19-month programme of language study, work placement and homestay in Japan, following a month of Japanese tuition in the UK. Daiwa Scholarships offer young and talented UK citizens with strong leadership potential, the opportunity to acquire Japanese language skills, and to access expertise and knowledge relevant to their career goals.
Japanese language knowledge is not required.
The intensive Japanese language course is held at the Tokyo School of the Japanese Language (Naganuma School). Following the homestay period spent living with a family outside Tokyo, full-time work placements appropriate to each Daiwa Scholar’s career goals are arranged.
Return flight to Japan, Accommodation in Tokyo whilst the Scholar is seeking a flat, All tuition and examination costs, A living allowance for the duration of the Scholarship which is to cover accommodation and living costs for a single person (¥260,000 per month)
Candidates must be: British citizens aged between 21 and 35 years of age by the time of departure.
Candidates should be: graduates or due to graduate by the time of departure, equipped with a strong degree in any subject* or with a strong record of achievement in their field and in possession of clear career objectives combined with a serious interest in Japan.
- 1 December 2016: Application deadline
- February and March 2016: Interviews (There are three interview stages, all held in London: in the week of 6 February 2017, on 23 February and on 16 March 2017)
- End of March 2017: Interview results
- August 2017: Japanese language course in the UK
- September 2017: Departure for Japan
- March 2019: End of Programme
Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies – postgraduate opportunity
Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies were established in April 2015 to fund postgraduate students of Japanese Studies on courses in either Japan or the UK. Applicants must be British citizens who are holders of a degree in Japanese Studies, defined as a course focussing primarily on the study of Japan and containing a substantial Japanese language component, and who are enrolled or enrolling in a Japanese Studies-related course in either Japan or the UK.
The Scholarship will cover university fees for the course in question, plus living expenses. Living expenses will be payable at a rate of £1,000 per month for periods spent in the UK, and ¥260,000 per month for periods spent in Japan.
So far Daiwa have supported graduates from Australian National University, Cardiff, Oxford, Sheffield, SOAS
Candidates for the Daiwa Scholarships in Japanese Studies must be:
- British citizens
- holders of an Honours degree in Japanese Studies, defined as a course focussing primarily on the study of Japan, and containing a substantial Japanese language component
- enrolled* or enrolling in a Japanese Studies-related course in either Japan or the UK. (Applicants need not have identified a precise university, course or supervisor at the time of applying. Those Scholars affiliated to UK universities must undertake at least part of their studies in Japan.)
Application deadline: 26 January 2017
Interviews: 1 March 2017
Further information, including full eligibility requirements and online application forms, is available at www.dajf.org.uk .
Any queries can be referred to me or to email@example.com .